Pages

Saturday, December 3, 2011

Yoda Moments

I'm sitting here in the school dining hall reading the newspaper. I just got out of the gym a half-hour ago because I wanted to hide from my CS homework. You see, coding is one of those Yoda moments; moments when I wish I had a Yoda like figure sitting on my shoulder explaining everything I was doing wrong. So, rather than stare at my incompetence written out for me in Java on the screen, I decided to go to the gym. Not that that's any better. I hate the gym. I hate the fact that no matter when I go, there's always at least half a dozen people there. I hate that even if I go in knowing exactly what I need to work on, I still feel like an idiot who has no idea what's going on. I wish at the gym I had a little Yoda telling me what to do. I know, I know, what I'm describing is a personal trainer. Why don't I just go with a rugby buddy? I do sometimes. Usually either with Beastmode Facefucker or Crazy Elbows. Problem with that is 1) they're both crazy, 2) they're rarely free when I am, and 3) holy shit, Elbows is crazy. He's been the leading cause of injuries on the team since 2009. Regardless, the last time I went with Beastmode, he confided he hAd a lot of the same concerns I did. Now first, I need to mention I'm in pretty damn good shape. I'm 185 lbs of height and muscle, but compared to Beastmode, I'm puny. But Beastmode pointed out that every time he's in the gym, there's always at least one guy who is even bigger and more ripped than he is, a guy who clearly knows what he's doing. And every time I go to the gym, I feel like that guy and everybody is looking at me going "jeez, what a schmuck. That guy can barely bench half his weight." And fuck, that feeling sucks. That's when I wish I had a little Yoda standing on my chest going "Lift more, you will. 6 reps, half minute break then.". Then I could just follow his advice and ignore all the little doubts. But I don't. So, I have to be my own Yoda and force myself to lift more, to study more, to won on my code more.

No comments:

Post a Comment